This August 28, 31 former heads of state and heads of presidency from Latin America issued an announcement during which they assist the presidential election in Guatemala, however specific concern in regards to the state of affairs within the nation.
The signatories are 31 former heads of state and authorities taking part within the Initiative for Democracy in Spain and the USA (IDEA), and in line with the report, they’re conscious of the choice taken by the American Committee on Human Rights to grant precautionary measures. In favor of Guatemala’s president-elect, Bernardo Arevalo, and his operating mate, Karin Herrera Aguilar, their elementary rights, together with the proper to life and private integrity, are being threatened.
Additionally they level out that they’re conscious of the “harassment and legal try” by the Public Ministry and different parts of the Guatemalan State Seed Motion, which supported the profitable electoral bid.
That’s the reason former presidents declared as follows.
- State establishments should all the time assure human rights, together with political rights, when colluding with organized crime and energy.
- The outcomes of the presidential election held in Guatemala and introduced by its Supreme Electoral Tribunal had been noticed internationally and their credibility was confirmed by the Group of American States; That is regardless of the persecution of members of the stated electoral physique and continued efforts to change or restrict the clear will of the individuals’s sovereignty by means of judicial proceedings.
- We share the factors of the OAS mission. And we additionally be a part of the priority expressed by the UN Secretary Normal on this regard.
- Respect for and assure of political rights is an inalienable obligation of the State, on the danger of compromising its worldwide duty for human rights violations, whereas on the identical time making particular person obligations operational. Numerous public powers vested in them by act or omission.
- They reiterate: “Efficient implementation of democracy is a global responsibility that each home or inside jurisdiction of each state should fulfill.”
They additional acknowledged that the democratic system implies that the one that will get the very best variety of votes shall assume the elected workplace and change the ruling occasion with the precept of alternating energy.
“We’ll stay vigilant and lend our vigilance to help within the means of democratic restoration of Guatemala and the ratification of its Structure,” concludes the doc signed by the next former heads of state and authorities.
- Mario Abdo, Paraguay
- Oscar Arias, Costa Rica
- Jose Maria Asner, Spain
- Nicolas Ardito Barletta, Panama
- Felipe Calderon, Mexico
- Rafael Angel Calderon, Costa Rica
- Alfredo Cristiani, El Salvador
- Laura Chincilla M., Costa Rica
- Ivan Duke, Columbia
- Jose Maria Figueres, Costa Rica
- Vincent Fox, Mexico
- Federico Franco, Paraguay
- Eduardo Frei Ruiz-Tagle, Chile
- Cesar Gaviria T., Colombia
- Lucio Gutierrez, Ecuador
- Oswaldo Hurtado, Ecuador
- Luis Alberto Lagale H, Uruguay
- Mauricio Macri, Argentina
- Jamil Mahuat W., Ecuador
- Carlos Meza G., Bolivia
- Lenin Moreno, Ecuador
- Mireya Moscoso, Panama
- Andres Pastrana, Colombia
- Ernesto Perez Palladares, Panama
- Sebastian Piñera, Chile
- Jorge Tuto Quiroca, Bolivia
- Miguel Angel Rodriguez, Costa Rica
- Julio Maria Sanguinetti, Uruguay
- Luis Guillermo Solis, Costa Rica
- Alvaro Uribe v., Colombia
- Juan Carlos Vazmosi, Paraguay